How Do I Select the Right Home Care Provider?
If your family has reached the point where you realize you need help with eldercare, one option you may be considering is hiring in-home help. As you begin the process of hiring a home healthcare aide for your parent, keep in mind you want to find one whose skills and experiences match your parent's needs for help with routine tasks as well as managing issues related to medical conditions. The following questions will help you to ensure you find the best possible caregiver.
- How much caregiving experience do they have?
- Have they had any formal training?
- How do they expect to get paid?
- Are there any things they will NOT do?
- What about a back-up plan if the person cannot work?
- Can they provide references?
- Do they have any health problems of their own?
- Do they have any other responsibilities…other clients, family members, etc.?
- Do they drive?
- Are they fluent in the primary language of the person needing care?