Retirement Housing: Making the Right Decision
- What is the reputation of the management? Are there published reviews available?
- What is the financial integrity of the institution?
- What are the entrance requirements?
- Are there conditions when the entrance fee is refundable?
- Which services are included in the fees?
- How are monthly charges established?
- What are the circumstances when fees may be increased?
- What happens if a person's personal financial resources are depleted?
- How often have the fees been increased?
- What type of health care facility is connected to the housing?
- What health & personal care services are available in the independent living units?
- What services are available in the assisted care units?
- What are the limits to health & medical care covered by the regular fees?
- Are there conditions under which a person may be asked to move?
- What are the policies for transferring a person to and from different levels of care?
- How long will a unit be held if a person is temporarily moved to a nursing home?
- Are there entree selections at each meal and/or special diet accommodations?
- Is there a policy for pets?
- What are the security arrangements at the property?
- What is the policy for visitors and overnight guests?
For more information contact
Dr. Jim McCabe at (
Review all of our eldercare seminars.